Saturday, May 22, 2010

Rainbow Cake

Today on Meg's blog, she posted a fabulous picture of the Rainbow Cake she is famous for.

A while ago, I decided to try it out for myself.

It's not too hard. You make two bowls of cake mix, then split each bowl into three so that you get six bowls (one for each colour). The hardest part is fitting them all in the oven!

Then the real fun begins- assembling the cake and frosting it! When I made my cake, I decided to use orange coloured frosting because the birthday girl loved the colour orange. The recipe called for powdered sugar, but as I stood in the cooking needs section of my supermarket, looking at all the sugar products, I could not find 'powdered sugar' for the life of me!

Thank goodness for iPhones. I Googled "substitute for powdered sugar" and found that you could use plain old white sugar that had been pulverised in the blender for a little bit. So that's what I did. Except I don't think I pulverised it for long enough because even though it looked 'powdery', I could still feel the sugar granules on my tongue and it was weird.

Anyway, at this point I had that much orange frosting that there was no way I was going to throw it all out and start again. Plus, I didn't have time because guests were arriving in an hour. So I kept at it.

Amanda recommended freezing the layers in between frosting so the cake wouldn't go slip sliding all over the place. I froze mine for an hour and it was still difficult to frost! Even when I was serving it up, I found I had to keep pushing the layers back into place because they kept sliding off each other.

Maybe my freezer is inadequate.

But the cake looked good regardless. Even if it was pastel-coloured instead of brightly coloured like Meg's and Amanda's.







No comments:

Post a Comment